News

 

Community Initiatives Program

Make a Valentine's splash

Compiled by Robin Summerfield
Calgary Herald

February 6, 2009

Event - Local charity HYtes (Helping Youth through educational scholarships) will host a valentine's Day-inspired fundraiser on Feb. 14. the event, called turn On Calgary, starts at 7 p. m. at Hotel arts.

the evening features a live jazz band, "sexy" drinks (one per person), tapas stations and a silent auction.

tickets are $125 each and are available at turnoncalgary.org or by calling 403-291-9812. For more information, call 403-252-7971

HYtes was founded in 2005 by Calgary couple Janet and Harold Pliszka and a small group of volunteers. the organization raises money to award scholarships to needy youths in developing countries. the group is volunteer run with 88 per cent of all money raised going to the children. the remaining 12 per cent covers costs.


Note from HYTES: On February 9, 2009, we made the difficult decision to cancel Turn On Calgary due to poor ticket sales stemming from the current economic downturn.

"One in five of the world's people lives on less than $1 a day."
- Jessica Williams